Statue of Sir Ernest Shackleton outside the London headquarters of the Royal Geographical Society. Designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens (1932)

big jackets, 'gloves straps', shoes - wrapping

Ernest Shackleton and his crew struggled to survive for months against the odds in the big freeze of the Antarctic; 
The ship, the Endurance, became trapped in the ice and was eventually crushed before sinking into the Weddell Sea;
The 28-man crew was left stranded in makeshift camps on the ice, battered by punishing and extreme conditions;
Haunting images reveal astonishing insight into the men's fight for their lives in the 'world's last great wilderness' .

Sir Ernest Schackleton - headwear

Shackleton's Antarctic expedition - clothing in extreme weather conditions

cars covered in snow - smooth shapes

Ice Canyon (Birthday Canyon) Greenland - curves

Gareth Pugh FW 14 15 - white headwear

JW Anderson x STAR WARS

JW Anderson x STAR WARS

Catholic nun collar - shape / contrast

Gareth Pugh FW 14 15 - funnel neck

FINAL OUTCOME ALL PHOTOGRAPHS KAROLINA DABEK

5 SELECTED IMAGES

I choose those 5 images because they are fully represent the concept behind the garment and alteration of them.

I started my research with Sir Ernest Schackleton statue which was my public art of choice, so first two pictures are from his north and south pole expeditions, I was inspired by the clothing for the extreme weather conditions. It's shape and practicality. 

During work in the studio we had to find an interesting silhouettes within our public art drawings, I choose the eye shape of my statue and then created 3D form out of it which was looking like a futuristic headpiece which reminded me a Star Wars or an enormous sleeve. 

My colour of choice was white from the very beginning, My key words for this colour choice would be: arctic, emperor, armor, 'snowstorm in the galaxy'.

Antarctic explorer

Ernest Shackleton's 1915 expedition to the Antarctic

heavy snow in Japan

Self-portrait as Sir Ernest Shackleton, 2002 by Nina Katchadourian

Pierre Cardin - futiristic eyewear

Gareth Pugh FW 14 15

Holy Mountain (1973) by Alexandro Jodorowsky

NUNS PLAYING BASKETBALL

picture source: http://northlandcatholic.blogspot.co.uk/

I think that is pretty unusual picture, It has a great dynamics and colour palette.

On the right side you can see one nun with a floating sleeve, together with a headpiece from J W Anderson x Star Wars collaboration you can see on the left side it gave me an idea how I want my garment to look on the body.

WHITE, SOFT LINES, CURVES, STRUCTURE

I decided to use white leather like material, raw cut, structured sleeves. Flaps of soft leather hanging on the body rather than being stiff and unpleasant to touch. 

extreme sleeves

Jacquemus Paris Fashion Week 16

FINAL OUTCOME IN THE STUDIO

Fields marked by '*' are required.
Comments are moderated. If you choose to make this comment public, it will not be visible to others until it is approved by the owner.
Help for "License"
The license for this content.

Help for "Licensor"
The original licensor for this content.
Help for "Original URL"
The original URL for this content.

Reply to:

Public
Private: This reply will only be visible to you and the author of the preceeding comment.